Skip to main content

Faculty and Instructor Grading Information

On this page you will find information about different grading options, how to initiate grade changes, and incomplete/late grades.


NC State University Grading Regulations

Failing Grades and Title IV Financial Aid

NC State University’s Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) is responsible for confirming that students receiving Title IV Funds and that earned a failing grade in their coursework were actually involved in the action required to complete the course and as a result earn the Title IV aid they received. For any of the grade options below, the grade displayed to the student in MyPack Portal and on the student’s transcript is an F or a U without the qualifying indicator of E, QA or NA.

F Grade Options:

  • FE (Failed Earned) or UE (Unsatisfactory Earned): Use this option for a student who was involved in the course throughout the entire semester. They attempted most assignments and yet did not demonstrate sufficient content mastery to pass the course.
  • FQA (Failed, Quit Attending) or UQA (Unsatisfactory, Quit Attending): Use this option for a student who began involvement in the course but did not complete the course. Based on the information you have available (attendance records, homework submissions, quiz/test records) enter a qualifier to indicate if the student ceased involvement before or after the 60% point of the term.
  • FNA (Failed, Never Attended) or UNA (Unsatisfactory, Never Attended): Use for a student who never began involvement in the course.

What constitutes course involvement?

* Attending class. Simply logging into a distance education course does not constitute course involvement but evidence of logging in along with participation in a discussion or otherwise demonstrating participation in the course material does.

* Submitting an assignment

* Taking a quiz, exam, interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction

* Participating in an online discussion

* Contacting the faculty member to ask questions about class assignments or the academic subject of the class

What if the student attended the first class and then never returned?

You would submit an FQA (Failed, Quit Attending) and select Stopped Attending – Before the designated 60% date.

When would I submit an FNA/UNA?

The Failed/Unsatisfactory – Never Attended administrative grade is only appropriate if the student never attended class, never submitted an assignment, never participated in class, and never logged in to participate in any online class activities.

Grade Changes

End-of-course grades are final upon submission to the department of Registration and Records and not subject to change as a result of the instructor’s judgment or on the basis of a second trial (e.g., a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed).

Grade changes may only be made to correct:

  • an error in computation or transcribing, or
  • a mistake where part of the student’s work has been unintentionally overlooked.

Grade changes must be made within one calendar year after the date final grades were submitted.

Grade changes can be initiated through the grade roster in the MyPack Portal and the Request Grade Change Link to the right of the student’s official grade.

Incomplete Grades

Quick Reminders

  • Assigning an Incomplete (IN) grade is not always appropriate. Additional options, left to the instructor’s discretion, could include:
    • Assigning a passing grade, but lower than if the student completed all remaining coursework
    • Assigning a failing grade
    • Instructing the student to speak with their academic advisor regarding alternative options, which may include a course withdrawal or grade exclusion for undergraduates
  • Understand all academic deadlines. If a student has a significant percentage of outstanding coursework, with a number of weeks remaining in the term, they may be encouraged to drop the course prior to the Drop/Revision Deadline.
  • If an Incomplete (IN) is assigned but not resolved, it will turn to an F grade at the university deadline.

When to Assign an Incomplete (IN) Grade

  • Successful completion of more than 50% of all required coursework, which is a general recommendation that can vary by course.
  • Successful completion of particular assignments, projects, or tests missed as a result of a documented serious event would enable the student to receive a passing grade (D for degree requirements at the undergraduate level, C for graduate level).
  • The student’s upcoming term allows for the completion of required coursework. Adding another course to a full-time course load may not encourage student success.
  • An Incomplete (IN) can be helpful for students navigating extenuating personal circumstances and have a reasonable amount of course work remaining. Faculty should always discuss the option of an IN grade with a student prior to assigning. If this is not possible, the instructor should contact the student as soon as possible to discuss expectations.
  • Consider whether the student will need access to special facilities or software (ex: Maple, WebAssign, Moodle) to complete the remaining assignments or if there are alternative equivalent assignments that will fulfill the remaining course requirements.
  • If the student requires accommodations or alternatives that are not possible, the student would need to consider whether it is best for them to accept an Incomplete (IN) grade. The student should seek guidance from their academic advisor if necessary.
  • Instructors should consider the amount of time they will need to provide feedback and resources for the student to complete the remaining course content prior to assigning an Incomplete (IN) grade.

After an Incomplete (IN) Has Been Assigned

  • Document the remaining course work and respective deadlines in an email to the student. Instructors do have authority to request the work prior to the University deadline, but it is expected that they will clearly communicate expectations to the student.
  • Identify and communicate the current grade in the course (i.e. grade if the student opted to complete no additional work).
  • Consider utilizing a Course Completion Contract or Incomplete Grade Resolution Plan to lay out the timeline.
  • For those instructors that utilize a classroom management platform, such as Moodle, ensure that your student has access to the necessary materials to complete the course.
    • Instructors using Moodle should request “Extended Access” for the student:
      • Contact DELTA’s LearnTech help desk through the “Get Help” tab or at or 919.515.7094 and request that the Extended Access role be added.
      • Provide the following information:
        • Student’s name and/or Unity ID
        • Course and section number
        • Semester for which extended access is requested
        • Choice of automated expiration date: (a) end of the current or upcoming Spring semester, or (b) end of the current or upcoming Fall semester
        • The Extended Access role expires automatically after a semester, but the instructor can also contact LearnTech to arrange a more specific expiration date
  • Coordinate access to any required labs or facilities.
  • The University will send an email to all students who have an outstanding Incomplete (IN) grade, however, instructors are also encouraged to send at least one reminder to the students regarding coursework completion. Otherwise, it is the student’s responsibility to submit the work on time and reach out to the instructor with questions.

Resolve the Incomplete (IN) Grade

  • Once the student submits the work and the instructor determines a final grade, the instructor is responsible for updating the final grade in MyPack. Step-by-step instructions for submitting a grade change are available here.

Late (LA) Grades

A grade used when grades are not reported on time by the teaching department or the instructor.  LA grades convert to IN grades before the end of the next semester and are subject to the conditions of the IN grade outlined above including automatic expiration to an F if not resolved in a timely manner.