Transfer Students - Post 9/11 GI Bill - Veteran (Chapter 33)

If you have already used Veterans Education Benefits at a previous institution, please follow the steps below.

NOTE: If you are a transfer student but this is your first time using Veterans Education Benefits, please follow the instructions for First-time Veterans Education Benefits students.

Step 1. Complete your request for change of program or place of training by applying for education benefits at

  • Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.

Step 2. Complete the MyPack Portal – VA “Certification Request” after you have completed class enrollment. You can access the Certification Request by following the steps below in MyPack Portal:

  • MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Veterans Information > Request Benefits Certification

Any schedule change made after the completion of your NC State enrollment, and associated VA “Enrollment Certification” by the School Certifying Official, may result in a VA debt.

Step 3. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will mail this once Step 1 is complete) via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).

  • Certificates of Eligibility can be accessed digitally through eBenefits

Upon completion of your VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Post-9/11, Chapter 33, VA Benefits student. From a student account perspective, this indicates:

  • Payments for tuition/fees (in-state amount), consistent with your Post-9/11 Percent Eligibility, will be wire transferred by the VA directly to your NC State student account. However, at the direction of the VA, the amount of your tuition/fees (in-state) are not reported to the VA until after NC State Census Day, normally the 10th day of the term.
  • For student account charges above the Post-9/11 VA wire transfer amount, the Cashier’s Office can offer a GI Bill Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan that coincides with the VA release of wire transfers and student monthly stipends.

Important Notes for Chapter 33 Students:

  • To initiate VA payment processing of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and your Book Stipend, both consistent with your Post-9/11 Percent Eligibility, your enrollment credit hours are reported to the VA as soon as your NC State “Certification Request” is processed by NC State Veterans Education Benefits.
  1. VA pays the Book Stipend at a rate of $41.67/credit hour with a maximum of $1,000 per year. This stipend is wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It typically arrives three to four weeks after VA Enrollment Certification.
  2. Your monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will be wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It is paid on the first of the month for the previous month and is only paid for the days that you are enrolled in class.
  • VA Education Benefits pay for the classes that you enroll in. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, and “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with NC State Veterans Education Benefits.