Transfer Students - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve and Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606/7)

If you have already used Veterans’ Education Benefits at a previous institution, please follow the steps below.

NOTE: If you are a transfer student but this is your first time using Veterans’ Education Benefits, please follow the instructions for First-time Veterans’ Education Benefits students.

Step 1. Apply for your benefits on the Department of Veterans Affairs website by completing a Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).

  • Follow instructions for creating a login and password.
  • Select the VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) from the drop-down menu.
  • Complete the form and then submit electronically to VA.
  • Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.

Step 2. Register for classes at NC State as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. To see when your enrollment appointment opens, log into the MyPack Portal.

Step 3. Complete the MyPack Portal – VA Certification Request after you have completed class enrollment. You can access it via one of the two following options:

  • MyPack Portal:  Main Menu > Student Self Service > Campus Personal Information > Request VA Certification
  • Veterans’ Education Office website –  Certification Request

Any schedule change made after the completion of your NC State enrollment, and associated “Enrollment Certification” to the VA by the School Certifying Official, may result in a VA debt.

Step 4. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will mail this once Step 1 is complete) via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).

NOTE: Upon completion of VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Chapter 1606/1607, VA Benefits student. If required, the Cashier’s Office offers a GI Bill Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan that coincides with the VA release of student monthly stipends.

Important Notes for Chapter 1606/1607 Students:

  • For monthly stipend payments to be processed, Chapter 1606/1607 students must provide a Verification of Enrollment on the first of each month. To verify enrollment, log into WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). You may also choose to call VA at (888) 442-4551.
  • Your monthly stipend payment will be wire transferred on the 1st of the month for the previous month. Payments are only processed for days in the month when you are enrolled in class.
  • VA Education Benefits pays for the classes that you enroll in. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, and “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with the NC State Veterans’ Education.