Transfer Students - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)

If you have already used Veterans Education Benefits at a previous institution, please follow the steps below.

NOTE: If you are a transfer student but this is your first time using Veterans Education Benefits, please follow the instructions for First-time Veterans Education Benefits students.

Step 1. Complete your request for change of program or place of training by applying for education benefits at

  • Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.

Step 2. Complete the MyPack Portal – VA “Certification Request” after you have completed class enrollment. You can access the Certification Request by following the steps below in MyPack Portal:

  • MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Veterans Information > Request Benefits Certification

Any schedule change made after the completion of your NC State enrollment, and associated VA “Enrollment Certification” by the School Certifying Official, may result in a VA debt.

Step 3. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will mail this once Step 1 is complete) via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).

  • Certificates of Eligibility can be accessed digitally through eBenefits

NOTE: Upon completion of VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Chapter 30, VA Benefits student. If required, the Cashier’s Office offers a GI Bill Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan that coincides with the VA release of student monthly stipends.

Important Notes for Chapter 30 Students:

  • For monthly stipend payments to be processed, Chapter 30 students must provide a Verification of Enrollment on the first of each month. To verify enrollment, log into WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Instead of verifying online, you may also call VA at (888) 442-4551.
  • Your monthly stipend payment will be wire transferred on the 1st of the month for the previous month. Payments are only processed for days in the month when the student is enrolled in class.

VA Education Benefits pays for the classes that you enroll in. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with  NC State Veterans Education Benefits.