Post 9/11 GI Bill - Veteran (Chapter 33)
Step 1. Apply for your benefits by visiting vets.gov:
- Complete and submit your application.
- Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.
Step 2. Register for classes at NC State as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. To see when your enrollment appointment opens, log into the MyPack Portal.
Step 3. Complete the MyPack Portal – VA “Certification Request” after you have completed class enrollment. You can access the Certification Request by following the steps below in MyPack Portal:
- MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Veterans Information > Request Benefits Certification
Step 4. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will mail this once Step 1 is complete) via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).
NOTE: Any schedule change made after you complete NC State enrollment, and associated “Enrollment Certification” to the VA by the School Certifying Official, may result in a VA debt.
Upon completion of your VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Post-9/11, Chapter 33, VA Benefits student. From a Student Account perspective, this indicates:
- Payments for tuition/fees (in-state amount), consistent with your Post-9/11 Percent Eligibility, will be wire transferred by the VA directly to your NC State student account. However, at the direction of the VA, the amount of your tuition/fees (in-state) are not reported to the VA until after NC State Census Day, normally the 10th day of the term.
- For student account charges above the Post-9/11 VA wire transfer amount, the Cashier’s Office can offer a GI Bill Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan that coincides with the VA release of wire transfers and student monthly stipends.
Important Notes for Chapter 33 Students:
- To initiate VA payment processing of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and your Book Stipend, both consistent with your Post-9/11 Percent Eligibility, your enrollment credit hours are reported to the VA as soon as your NC State “Certification Request” is processed by the NC State Veterans’ Education Office.
- VA pays the Book Stipend at a rate of $41.67/credit hour with a maximum of $1,000 per year. This stipend is wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It typically arrives three to four weeks after VA Enrollment Certification.
- Your monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will be wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It is paid on the first of the month for the previous month and is only paid for the days that you are enrolled in class.
- VA Education Benefits pay for the classes in which you are enrolled. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, and “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with the NC State Veterans’ Education Office.