Academic Enrichment Opportunities (AEO)
Students with exceptional high school records who have exhausted all course options available at their high school may take NC State courses for credit while still in high school. The Academic Enrichment Opportunities (AEO) program is offered to qualified high school students on a year-round basis, including summer sessions.
To be considered for enrollment in the AEO program, students must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Cumulative weighted GPA of 3.5 or higher. Transcripts and standardized test scores (SAT, ACT or others) consistent with students entering the university’s freshmen class may be required.
- Junior or senior standing
- On track to graduate on time
- Interest in an NC State course not offered at the student’s high school
- Payment of a non-refundable $35 processing fee with application
Registration for “Continuing AEO Students”
If you are currently a participant in the AEO program and would like to continue for another consecutive semester, you are considered a “Continuing AEO student.”
NOTE: If you have participated in the AEO program in the past but it has been longer than one semester since you enrolled, follow the instructions for “Returning AEO students” listed above.
To register as a Continuing AEO student:
- Return a completed AEO form to the department of Registration and Records. This form is required for every semester you take classes at NC State as a high school student.
- Once you receive notification of your approval to take classes, register online through the MyPack Portal system using the same Unity ID and password during the designated NDS Enrollment Period (check the Enrollment Calendar).
Registration for “New AEO Students” and “Returning AEO Students”
NOTE: Students who have participated in the AEO program in the past but skipped a regular semester are considered “Returning AEO students” and follow the same registration guidelines listed below. (If you are a current AEO participant registering for the following semester, follow the registration instructions for “Continuing AEO students.”)
- Select the classes you desire to take:
- The complete schedule of classes is available online.
- Select courses that are not offered in your high school at either the basic, advanced or Advanced Placement level. Do not attempt to take coursework at NC State in order to prepare for higher-level high school courses.
- If you are eligible for dual enrollment credit at your high school, work closely with your high school counselor to ensure any classes taken at NC State qualify.
- Enrollment in more than one course is strongly discouraged. If additional course are desired, please secure a written recommendation from your principal.
- Complete in the following order: Residency Determination Service (RDS) Form, the AEO Form, and the Non-Degree Studies (NDS) Application
- The NDS application requires your Residency Certification Number (RCN) from your Residency Determination Service form.
- The AEO form requires signatures from your high school counselor and principal verifying that you meet the criteria for participation in the AEO program.
- You may hand deliver, mail or fax the completed AEO and NDS application forms to Registration and Records: AEO Program, 1000 Harris Hall, Campus Box 7313, Raleigh, NC 27695-7313; (Fax: 919-515-2376).
- If you are home schooled, please provide a copy of your transcript.
- Register for classes via MyPack Portal.
- Even though students indicate their desired class on their AEO paperwork, the department of Registration and Records is not responsible for registering students for that particular class. We can assist in the process, but students must take the additional step of course registration.
- Once you have been approved for participation, you will receive a Unity ID and password, which are required to register online.
- Find out when NDS students are eligible to register by clicking on the Enrollment Calendar for the semester you are interested in. AEO students are considered Undergraduate Studies (UGS) students for registration purposes.
- Register online through the MyPack Portal.
- Enter your Unity ID and password.
- Register for classes through the Enrollment Wizard.
- The Enrollment Overview video tutorial can walk you through the process.
- For registration assistance, contact us at (919) 515-2572.
- Access information on add/drop dates on the Academic Calendar.
- Pay your required tuition and fees.
- AEO students are considered Undergraduate Studies (UGS) students at NC State and are charged at the undergraduate rate.
- View the Tuition and Fees page on the Student Service Center website for the current rates.
- NOTE: The tuition and fee charges for Distance Education courses (identified with a 600 or greater section number) are separate and distinct from the tuition and fees charged for on-campus courses. On-campus tuition and fee charges are determined based solely on on-campus enrollment. Distance Education tuition and fee charges are determined based solely on Distance Education enrollment. See the Distance Education website for information on DE Tuition and fee schedules.
- Review information on student resources.
- Complete the process to receive dual enrollment credit at your high school, if applicable.
- Complete the dual enrollment form supplied by your high school counselor.
- Have an official transcript sent to your high school. Request an official transcript from NC State’s department of Registration and Records, either in person or by fax. Information on requesting official transcripts is available online, or at (919) 515-2572.
- NOTE: Telephone requests for transcripts will not be honored.